Sunday, October 18, 2009

No Crowds at Old Faithful at Sunrise!

I was absolutely amazed to have Old Faithful completely to myself before, during and after the first eruption of the day at about 715am! Arrived at the viewing area to find icy, cold conditions and wound up doing push-ups in the pre-dawn darkness to stay warm! (At least I hope there wasn't anyone else watching me do pushups in the dark!) As the sun slowly came up, the wildlife comes alive and I realized there were bison, ravens, ducks and geese to keep me from getting lonely! People started to slowly drift into the Geyser Basin for the 2nd eruption 90 minutes later and were quick to complain about the cold! I wisely chose not to demonstrate my pushup technique for staying warm! I was caught totally unprepared for the inevitable flamingo questions as well as the rational "You rode your motorcycle here from Pennsylvania comments" as I had left the AWSOM postcards in my room! I did my best to work the inevitable "Awesome" exclamation about Old Faithful into my dialogue about the animal shelter without arousing undue suspicion, I think!? While waiting for the sun to get high in the sky and temps enough to Defrost the roads, I managed to catch a 3rd eruption later at 1120am! It's not called Old Faithful by coincidence!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment